About Our Practice
The Doctors and staff at Western Vale Family Practice are proud to offer the highest standard of patient-centred healthcare. We are a friendly, innovative and high performing Practice, supporting an increasing patient population of over 10,500 patients across the Western Vale of Glamorgan. We also undertake the vocational training of General Practitioners and Medical Students.
Our main site, which is also our administrative centre, is in the purpose developed Health Centre in Cowbridge and we have branch surgeries in Llantwit Major Health Centre and St Athan. We currently have five GP Partners, three Salaried GPs, one Nurse Practitioner, two Practice Nurses, One Nursing Assistant and employ around 20 members of staff across Management, Administrative and Reception areas.
The GP Practice is the first point of contact for healthcare for most people. The aim is to provide an easily accessible route to care, whatever the patient’s problem. Since we often care for people and their families over extended periods of time, the relationship between patient, the Doctors and staff in the Practice is particularly important. Our staff at all times are expected to behave in accordance with the Practice values, demonstrating commitment to the delivery of a high quality service to our patients. Our values are:
• We Care, Respect and treat our patients and colleagues with Kindness;
• We Trust one another;
• We take Personal Responsibility and act with Honesty.
As a Practice, we aim to ensure that staff are appropriately trained and confident in the work they do and we provide opportunities to continuously learn, develop, gain job satisfaction and reach their full potential.
In return, we ask that patients:
- Mutually Respect the Clinicians and Practice staff. We operate a zero tolerance policy, which means that we have a right to care for others without fear of being verbally or physically abused. We will take action if someone is treated in a threatening, abusive or violent way, this may result in extreme cases in the police being contacted and/or patients being removed from the Practice list
- Take Personal Responsibility to inform the Practice if you or your loved one are unable to attend an appointment, or if there are any changes in personal circumstances which may impact on general health
- Provide Feedback directly to us if you have any helpful comments or suggestions about the practice and the services on offer, so that we can continuously learn and develop. Send us your comments or suggestions. If you would like to raise a concern or make a formal complaint please see Complaints Procedure
Western Vale Family Practice is a non limited Partnership owned by Drs McGovern, Wilkinson, Coleman, Davies and Cleland.
We are contracted to provide Primary Medical Services by Cardiff and Vale University Health Board. Further details about Primary Medical Services in the area can be obtained from:
Cardiff and Vale University Health Board Headquarters
University Hospital of Wales (UHW)
Heath Park Cardiff
029 20 747747
Please find a link below to our Practice Leaflet, which is currently in the process of being updated.
You will find a wealth of up to date health-related information across our website. Please have a look around.