Cardiff and Vale University Health Board – Community Attached Staff
We have a large team of professional staff that are attached to the practice. These include District Nurses, Health Visitors, Midwives, Phlebotomists Physiotherapists, Western Vale Community Mental Health Team and Podiatry.
District nurses care primarily for housebound patients, offering clinical care, advice and support and assessments for equipment, care packages and incontinence needs. They also provide nursing care for post-operative and terminally ill patients. District Nurses can be contacted via the UHB Communication Hub 01446 729563
The health visitor is primarily responsible for the care of young children. She visits mothers and babies at home and is available for advice to mothers before confinement and for children up to school entry. With the help of a community paediatrician she runs a well-baby clinic. Health Visitors can be contacted on 01446 777040
The midwives see patients in the antenatal clinic at Cowbridge Health Centre on Tuesday afternoon and attend patients at home before and after delivery.
They can be contacted on 029 20 745030
Early Pregnancy Unit 029 20 745933
Phlebotomists attend Cowbridge Health Centre every weekday morning, St Athan Surgery on Tuesday morning and Llantwit Major Clinic on Friday morning. Attendance is strictly by appointment, made with the Practice Reception Team.
Podiatry Services- Helping you care for your feet
Who can access our service?
We assess people who are resident in the Cardiff & Vale area that have a foot problem taking into account both medical and foot health.
What foot problems do you deal with?
We treat a wide range of foot and postural problems from foot ulceration and in growing toe nails tocorns and provide orthotics (prescription foot supports) for gait problems.
What services do you provide?
- Assessment & Diagnostic Clinics – for new patients.
- Telephone Triage Service – for some new patients.
- Wound Clinics – for patients with foot ulcers.
- Diabetic Screening Clinics – for diabetic patients who need advanced foot screening.
- Vascular Screening Clinics – for patients who need advanced foot screening.
- Nail Surgery – for patients who need part or whole nails removed under local anaesthetic.
- Lower limb Biomechanical Assessment & Gait Analysis – for patients with musculoskeletal problems.
- General Podiatry Treatment Clinics – for patients who have an agreed treatment plan.
- Home Visiting Service – for patients who are house bound.
- In Patient Service – for patients in hospital where treatment is essential prior to discharge.
- Education, Advice on self care and Sign Posting Service to alternative care –for whose who are not eligible for NHS podiatry.
What services don’t you provide?
We do not provide a service for the following:-
- A service to cut thick or normal nails for those individuals who are healthy or a low/medium medical risk (using Podiatry Service Patient Safety Taxonomy).
- An initial diabetic foot screening – this should be carried out at G.P. Practice you are registered with.
- Continuing foot care for individuals with minor lesions e.g. mild – seed corns, mild callous or mild corns.
- Continuing routine podiatry care for in growing toe nails or curved nails where surgery is an option.
- Treatment to individuals who are non compliant to an agreed treatment plan.
- Home visits for individuals who are not house bound (using Podiatry Service assessment tool).
- School or Residential Home sessions but individuals are treated. You can refer yourself by completing an Eligibility Assessment Form. Your G.P. or other health professional such as the practice nurse can either complete the form or send a referral letter if additional information is needed e.g. for patients with diabetes. Tel: (02920)335135
- The forms are available at Local Health Centres, Clinics and G.P. Practices or can be requested from the Podiatry Patient Management Centre at Cardiff Royal Infirmary.
- How do I access the service?
By self-referring using the form below
For further information on this service, please use the link below
Western Vale Mental Health Team
West Vale CMHT, Cowbridge Health Centre, The Broadshoard, Cowbridge, CF71 7DA
Tel: 01446 776 300 Fax: 01446 776320
For further information regarding Cardiff and Vale University Health Board please see http://www.cardiffandvaleuhb.wales.nhs.uk/home