Cowbridge: 01446 772383

Llantwit Major: 01446 794080

St Athan: 01446 751751

Latest News

Physiotherapy Service

Patients are now able to book in directly (without needing to see a GP first) with a Physiotherapist and be seen at Cowbridge Health Centre, or Llantwit Major & Coastal Vale Medical Practice (formerly Eryl). This service is for patients age 18+ with Soft tissue injuries, arthritis, joint pain, ligament or muscle injury, spinal pain and sciatica. The physiotherapist can also make recommendations regarding pain relief and fit notes-where appropriate. Please ask one of the Reception Team for more information.

Long Term (Chronic) Condition / Medication Review Process

We have rolled out a new system where patients have a single annual review in the month of their birthday, with the most appropriate member of our practice clinical team.

This “one stop shop” will include a review of any medicines prescribed, as well as any specific checks relating to any long term conditions you may have (eg diabetes, asthma, high blood pressure, etc). Carried out by one of our Practice Pharmacists or Practice Nurses, it is a chance to check that your medicines are the best ones for you. It is also an opportunity to ask any questions you might have about your health or your medications. In the first year, this may result in some people being recalled slightly earlier than they were expecting to allow us to synchronise review dates with months of birth.

You will receive a letter in the month of your Birthday, advising you specifically on the appointment(s) that you need to make for your review and who these should be booked with. We hope that you will find this new process more efficient and convenient.


We’re calling on veterans to tell us that they’ve served in the armed forces so that we can best support their care needs. Please see our Veterans page on our website for more info Veterans







What is Counselling?

Counselling is a type of talking therapy that allows a person to talk about their problems and feelings in a confidential and dependable environment.

A counsellor is trained to listen with empathy (by putting themselves in your shoes). They can help you deal with any negative thoughts and feelings you have.

Sometimes the term “counselling” is used to refer to talking therapies in general, but counselling is also a type of therapy in its own right.

Other psychological therapies include psychotherapy, cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT), and relationship therapy, which could be between members of a family, a couple, or work colleagues.

Read more about other psychological therapies.

What is counselling used for?

Talking therapies such as counselling can be used to help with many different mental health conditions, including:

Counselling can help you:

Counselling can often involve talking about difficult or painful feelings and, as you begin to face them, you may feel worse in some ways. However, with the help and support of your therapist, you should gradually start to feel better.

In most cases, it takes a number of sessions before the counselling starts to make a difference, and a regular commitment is required to make the best use of the therapy.

For further information see:

NHS Counsellor

The Practice can refer you an NHS Counsellor. Please speak to your GP if you feel you may need a referral.


If you’re referred for counselling or another psychological therapy through the NHS, it will be free of charge. However, your choice of the type of therapy may be limited. If you have a preference for the type of therapy you receive, or the time or location of your appointments, you may choose to look for a private therapist.

If you decide to pay to see a private therapist, make sure they’re qualified and you feel comfortable with them. The cost of private counselling can vary considerably. Depending on where you live, a session can cost between £10 and £70. Some therapists may be willing to adjust their fees in accordance with your income.

Many private counsellors offer an initial free session and concessionary rates for students, job seekers and those on low wages. You should ask about charges and agree a price before starting a course of counselling.

Charities and voluntary organisations

Some charities and voluntary organisations also offer counselling. These organisations usually specialise in a particular area, such as couples counselling, bereavement, or family guidance.


You may also be able to access support groups through your local community, church, or social services.

Finding a qualified counsellor

Most reputable counsellors will be registered with a professional organisation that has been accredited by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA) (a government body), such as the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP) or The National Counselling Society.

Counselling and clinical psychologists must be registered with the Health & Care Professions Council (HCPC), and may also be chartered with The British Psychological Society (BPS). The British Association for Behavioural & Cognitive Psychotherapies (BABCP) maintains a list of accredited CBT practitioners.

Therapists registered with a professional association have met the PSA’s high standards for governance, standard setting, education and training, information, management and complaints. They must also maintain high ethical and professional standards. This gives the public greater protection, and guarantees a minimum level of training and continuing professional development.

You can find a therapist near you by using the postcode search on the BACP website.


Barnardo’s Vale of Glamorgan School and Community Based Counselling Service


Who can see a counsellor?

Anybody can meet with a counsellor. Our counsellor’s work with young people aged 10 -19 in the Vale of Glamorgan and can meet with the young person in their school or in the community.

Reasons young people might meet with a counsellor include:

·         Family issues
·         Bereavement
·         Depression
·         Relationship difficulties
·         Self-esteem
·         Anxiety

Please look at this flyer for further information:
Barnardo’s VSCBCS flyer for parents-carers-professionals

Barnardo’s Vale of Glamorgan School and Community Based Counselling Service

Please see list of services below that you might find helpful to contact whilst you wait to meet with one of our counsellors:

Amber project: A service supporting any young person (aged 14-25) in Cardiff and the surrounding areas who has experience of self-harm.
Telephone: 029 2034 4776 Text/Phone 07905 905437 Website:

Change Grow Live (CGL): An Emotional Wellbeing service in Cardiff and the Vale of Glamorgan.
Telephone: 0800 008 6879    Website:

Childline: You can sign up for an account with Childline to email or chat 1-1 with a counsellor 24hours, 7days/week.
Telephone: 0800 1111    Website:

Child Bereavement UK: Offers support to families and young people affected by bereavement.
Telephone: 0800 02 888 40
Website: Email support:​

Hope Support: Offers online support via Facebook or Skype to young people aged 11+ when a close family member is diagnosed with a terminal illness.


Meic: Information, advice and advocacy for children and young people.
Text 84001  Freephone: 080880 23456.   Website:

Mind: Offers support on a range of mental health issues.
Telephone: 0300 123 3393, Mon – Fri 9am – 6pm   Text: 86463.

Mind Hub: This hub has been created by young people for young people, it provides information and links to services in relation to emotional health and wellbeing.

Papyrus: An organisation set up for the prevention of young suicide, and offers support to young people.
Telephone: 0800 068 41 41

Samaritans: An organisation that provides confidential emotional support.
Telephone: 116 123, 24 hours, 7days/week.   Welsh language line: 0300 123 3011 open daily: 7pm – 11pm.

TESS: Text and email support for girls & young women up to 24yrs in the UK affected by self-harm. Open Sun, Mon, Tues, Wed, Thurs and Fri 7pm – 9pm
Text 0780 047 2908.  Website:

Contact Information


Western Vale Family Practice

Cowbridge Health Centre

The Broad Shoard


CF71 7DA

Tel. 01446 772383

Llantwit Major

The Clinic

Boverton Road

Llantwit Major

CF61 1XZ

Tel. 01446 794080

St Athan

The Surgery

The Square

St Athan


CF62 4PF

Tel. 011446 751751