GP Letters and Medicals

Private Work Fees

Why GPs sometimes charge fees - surely the doctor is being paid anyway?

It is important to understand that GPs are not employed by the NHS. They are self-employed and they have to cover their costs – staff, buildings, heating, lighting, etc – in the same way as any small business. The NHS covers these costs for NHS work, but for non-NHS work, the fees charged by GPs contribute towards their costs.

What is covered by the NHS and what is not?

The Government’s contract with GPs covers medical services to NHS patients, including the provision of ongoing medical treatment.

In recent years, however, more and more organisations have been involving doctors in a whole range of non-medical work.

Sometimes the only reason that GPs are asked is because they are in a position of trust in the community, or because an insurance company or employer wants to ensure that information provided to them is true and accurate.

Examples of non-NHS services for which GPs can charge their own NHS patients:

  • accident or sickness certificates for insurance purposes,
  • holiday insurance certificates,
  • reports for health clubs to certify that patients are fit to exercise.

Examples of non-NHS services for which GPs can charge other institutions:

  • life assurance and income protection reports for insurance companies,
  • reports for the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) in connection with Disability Living Allowance and Attendance Allowance,
  • medical reports for local authorities in connection with adoption and fostering.

Do GPs have to do non-NHS work for their patients?

GPs do not have to carry out non-NHS work on behalf of their patients. Whilst GPs will always attempt to assist their patients with the completion of forms, for example for insurance purposes, they are not required to do such non-NHS work.

A list of fees for non NHS Services is available here:

Updated November 2019
Various – “to whom it may concern” letters £30.00
Private Certificate of Sickness £20.00
Fitness to Travel Certificate (without examination) £30.00
Fitness to Travel Certificate (with examination) £75.00
Holiday Cancellation Certificate £30.00
Certificate of Fitness £30.00
School Sickness Certificate £30.00
Private Healthcare Form £30.00
Legal Aid Letter £30.00
DS1500 Form £17.00
Disabled Student Allowance Form £30.00
Student Finance Wales Form £30.00
Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority Form £30.00
Cremation Form £82.00
Adoption Report and Exam (per adult) Private £50.00
Adoption Report and Exam (per adult) Bridgend Council £73.86
Form AH (Health Ass On Prosp. Carer Incl. Medical) £73.86
Form AH2 (Update Report on Parent/Carer. Review from Records) £24.36
Taxi Drivers Licence Medical  £55.00
Racing Car Licence Medical  £120.00
PSV Driving Medical (e.g bus driver) £120.00
PPL Fitness to Fly Report (Pilot) £120.00
Diving Medical £120.00
HGV Drivers Licence Medical  £120.00
Boxing Medical £120.00
Confined Spaces Medical £120.00
Police Medical  £140.00
Pre-Employment Medical  £130.00
GP Report (GPR) Form £104.00
Additional Info Requested After GPR £27.00
GPR (report in letter format) £60 – £100
Firearms Licence £40.00
DVLA (series 2 form, no examination) £40.00
DVLA (series 2 form, with examination) £85.00
Power of Attorney / COP3 £150.00
Personal Independence Payment (PIP, Capita) Report £33.50
Army GP Report £65.00
MoD GP Report  £39.09
Private GP Appointment (incl private script) £60.00
Private Prescription £20.00
Yellow Fever  £75.00
Re-issue of Yellow Fever Vaccination Certificate £15.00
DNA Mouth Swab and Form £50.00
ECG Recording £75.00
Private Bloods for Insurance Company £60 + lab costs
Hep B Injections (course of 3) £90